Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is one of the most commonly done cosmetic procedures in the U.S. It beams highly concentrated light into hair follicles. Pigment in the follicles absorb the light and that destroys the hair.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal can remove unwanted hair from the face, leg, chin, back, arm, underarm, bikini line, and other areas.
Benefits of laser hair removal include:
- Lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a quarter every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, and large areas, such as the back or legs, may take up to an hour.
- Most patients have permanent hair loss after an average of three to seven sessions.
Before your Laser Hair Removal Procedure:
- If you we are treating areas from the neck down, please shave the entire area you desire treated the day before your planned treatment. For facial areas, do not shave.
- Use a broad spectrum SPF 30 (or greater) sunblock before AND after your treatments. No natural or artificial tanning (which includes tanning beds and spray tans) anytime within 2-3 weeks before your session.
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, toners or any irritating creams for one week prior.
- Do not apply any perfumes, deodorant or make-up to the desired area the day of your treatment.
After your Laser Hair Removal Procedure:
- No deodorant for 24 to 48 hours if underarm was treated.
- Immediately after your treatment there likely will be some slight redness, swelling around the hair follicles and mild discomfort similar to a sunburn. Cool packs may be applied.
- You may also notice during and immediately after your session the smell of burned hairs. This is normal.
- Do not rub, or pick the treated area. Do not use any loofahs or abrasive scrubs for at least 5 days.
- Avoid the gym, hot water/ saunas/ jacuzzi for 24-48 hours.
- If a crust develops, apply EltaMD Moisture Ointment twice daily, to keep the area moist until healed.
- Contact our office if the area shows signs of infection or blistering.
- Continue to use sunblock for the duration of your treatments.
What is the cost of laser hair removal?
For more information about Cosmetic Dermatology, or to request an appointment, please complete our online form or call 970-926-9226 (Vail), 970-927-2800 (Willits), 970-710-2400 (Spring St.), 970-668-0998 (Breckenridge) or 970-930-6490 (Glenwood).